This is a blog. This is NOT peer-reviewed. This is not science. The stories I tell are mine. For those of you who don't understand: These stories are told from my point of view. They are my opinion and only that. They are my memories, however I choose to remember and/or embellish them. The resemblance of characters in my stories to anyone in my life is not completely unintentional, however, I strive to protect their identities; because seriously, the shit they do and say is humiliating and stupid.

Oh...I'm telling these stories because my therapist thinks it'll help my mental and emotional well-being.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why do I bother?

So I was in a meeting yesterday, figuring I’d get some good material for the blog. The meeting was filled to the gills with fish biologists. Not one wildlife biologist (with the exception of yours truly and her boss). We presented our proposal asking for more funding. At the end, one fish bio said, “There’s a lot of great science going on here...except this bear stuff. Why don’t you study the ENTIRE FOOD WEB instead of focusing on bears?” My boss and I looked at each other in absolute confusion. How can we possibly study the whole food web? It’s ginormous!

The fish biologist associated with our project explained to him that we have studied the food web. Admittedly, I was still confused. There’s no way we’ve studied the whole food web. Later, I found out that from a fish biologist’s perspective the entire food web consists of everything from biofilm to fish and insects. Anything beyond that (apparently) doesn’t exist.

Do I really need to explain what’s wrong with that? If I do, you must be a fish biologist.

TSWB

No comments:

Post a Comment