This is a blog. This is NOT peer-reviewed. This is not science. The stories I tell are mine. For those of you who don't understand: These stories are told from my point of view. They are my opinion and only that. They are my memories, however I choose to remember and/or embellish them. The resemblance of characters in my stories to anyone in my life is not completely unintentional, however, I strive to protect their identities; because seriously, the shit they do and say is humiliating and stupid.

Oh...I'm telling these stories because my therapist thinks it'll help my mental and emotional well-being.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Training Days: Wildlife Biologist aren’t known for their people skills

Shortly after being hired by “Charismatic Guy” and “Not So Much,” I was teamed with Not So Much, a man of few words. I’d spent several long days with him. In silence. Him hiking through the woods like a gazelle. Me running and tripping over everything, trying to keep up with him. Occasionally, I tried to strike up a conversation, but he always managed to answer my questions in curt one to three word phrases. One day, after a ten-hours of hell, I decided to, once again, see if I could get the guy to talk.

“Do you have any siblings?” I asked, thinking maybe he’d tell me something about himself if I asked about his family.

“Yep.”

“Brothers or sisters?”

“Brothers.”

“How many?”

“Two.”

“Older or younger?”

“Older.”

Not known for my patience or my ability to keep my mouth shut, I snapped. “You know what? I’m done. Talking to you is worse than talking to a wall. If you decide you want to talk to me then fine, but as of this moment, I’m done trying to force you to talk!” I closed my eyes and set my head against the window of the passenger-side door, preparing myself for a summer of hell.

“So…” said Not So Much, a hint of amusement and respect in his voice.

I opened my eyes, catching the almost smile at the corners of his mouth.

“What do your parents do?”

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much. First of all, it is so typical you and second it totally reminds me of my boss on the raven project. If he was constantly drooling chew-juice then I'd be convinced that they were one in the same!

    ReplyDelete